Monday, July 30, 2012

Pick a topic for your book

Welcome!

So, now that you have decided to write and self-publish your book the questions becomes:  How do you choose a topic?  Well, let's start with some basic questions.  Is it fiction or non-fiction?  What is your demographic?  Is biographical or auto-biographical?  Is it about something you love or loathe?  The list could go on and on, however I find it is easiest to write something about which you are passionate.

For example, I write about dogs, for children.  Two things about which I am very passionate.  I find that the concepts and words come easier because I understand both animals and children.  This is not to say that this is right for everyone.

Maybe you are passionate about disliking war and want to write a book and tell your story.  Maybe you love to cook and want to share your recipes with others. Or, maybe you know something that the rest of us should know.  The bottom line is when it comes to picking a topic, I believe it has to be personal to the writer in some way.  For me, it was dogs and children.

Sometimes it can be extremely helpful to simply write, write, write.  Keep going until that special topic becomes abundantly clear, because stream of consciousness can be very helpful when we feel blocked.

Since this blog is centered around tips that might help you write and self- publish a book of your own, I am very excited to share with you the following link where you can learn more about me, and my journey to self-publishing my first children's book in the Pug Story series.  I hope this information has been helpful in some way, and I look forward to sharing more tips with you soon.

JACI

http://www.indiegogo.com/pugstory?a=919702

No comments:

Post a Comment