Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Your storyline: See the end from the beginning!

Hello!

So, since an earlier blog I have been asked by friends to elaborate on my ideas about developing your storyline and characters.  I want to dedicate this entry to developing your storyline.  I do apologize if my information was too vague.

Let's re-visit developing your storyline: See the end from the beginning.  In other words, know what the endgame is for your book. You can then essentially "back in" the story as opposed to the reverse; hitting it head-on and running the risk of it being inconsistent upon it's completion.  Kind of like even though a building begins on it's foundation, the architects have completed blueprints long before ground breaks so as not to compromise their endgame.  For me, I decided that I wanted the main character in my first children's book to ultimately adapt to her new surroundings and overcome adversity as a way to help teach children how to achieve the same experience. This set the stage for my storyline, even though I hadn't started writing yet.  I knew where the storyline was headed and where my characters would stand at the end.

Think about your storyline having three major points of contact.  A gripping beginning, a climactic middle, and a satisfying ending that still leaves the reader wanting more. Each third should propel the reader to the next.  Introduce the back story and capture the reader with a gripping beginning upon which you can build. Think again of the building and how each layer must build on the following one until the project is complete.

Your spy novel might begin by introducing the main character who is a robber that pulls off a bank heist. This will help the reader connect to the main character quickly, and give you the gripping beginning you need.  Your climactic middle might include something like; the robber falls for the woman who opened the bank vault, but she never saw his face even though he saw hers.  Since you have previously decided that your storyline ends with a bank robber who gets caught by a spy agency, you now have all three major points of contact.  Bank gets robbed, robber falls in love with teller, robber gets caught.  However, don't forget to write a satisfying ending to your book, and still leave the reader wanting more. Even though the robber is caught, raise a question and leave it on the table.  Was she in on it with him?  Does he find a way to escape jail?  Does he actually work for the spy agency?

Write your storyline according to what is popular and selling, but also to what you would want to take away from the book if you had not written it, but simply read it.  In my book, "Chloey's Big Move", the main character moves to Chicago and deals with all things new, faces adversity, and finds resolution that ends with her thinking only of Bark Park, her new friends, and all of their adventures to come.  This was the method to my madness which I hope will be of some help to you!

And don't forget to Write, Write, Write!

JACI






No comments:

Post a Comment